Saturday, June 2, 2012

80'S HAMMONTON SCHOOL FIELD DAYS

  
                  As we come close to the end of another
                  school year, my 2 youngest daughters 
                 recently got to experience their 1st field day, while I was reminded of mine.
Field day was so great not just because we
got to be out of the classroom for entire
day, but because we knew summer was right 
around the corner and the school year was 
about over. So, this is some of what I 
remember doing at my field days,(1986-1990)
at Hammonton Elementary School.
Back then before the school added on, we had
a huge field behind our school where field
day would occur. I can't really remember now if 
all the grades were out there or not. I do
recall having to sit on the grass in a line, 
with a row of orange cones lined up ahead of us.
The gym teachers would basically explain each
race before that whistle blew. 
The first races seemed pretty boring to me.
I would laugh with my friends, daydream, and 
doing cool things with the grass, like try to get
it to make that whistle noise. Some of the first
races were things like regular running races, running backwards, crab walks, kicking a soccer ball around the cones, and pushing a plastic ball around the cones
with one of those old wooden hockey sticks,
that always had some kind of disgusting tape
peeling off of it.           

I really hated those races because it was 
always really hot, and I would have to get
up from that nice cool grass. It's also 
annoying when it's your turn and everyone's
watching you and demanding you to "Go!GO!"
Even the teachers seemed to be like these 
little field day nazis....like it was such a big
accomplishment for their class to win a 
backwards running race. Field day wasn't all
boring to me though. Mid way through is when
we would have the really fun races, like
the 3-legged race. Although, I think I always
used to get dragged away when I was tied to
the most athletic kids in my class. I can't 
remember if we were actually tied up together
or if we shared a potato sack. I know though we did have single potato sack races, which I never really fell! 
(which is 
surprising since I was/am a klutz.) What 
wasn't real fun was those itchy potato sacks
scratching up against my sweaty legs.Then 
there was this beaded jump ropes which we 
would have to jump rope across the field and
back.
        I know we also had the sponge race, where you
had to race with a sponge immersed in water.
In this race we would run to the other end of the field where a bucket sat, then squeeze whatever water was left in the sponge,then run back to our class line, tag the next kid, and pass the sponge off to them.   Whatever team had the most water in their bucket won. Come to think of it, maybe we had to run with    the sponge between our legs?  All I know is it had something to do with a sponge.
  
Then there was the Egg Spoon race when we
would run back and forth while holding a egg 
on a spoon. (No one really moved all that fast
with that one.)  I think there was also a race where
we had to run or walk as fast as we could while
holding a orange cone upside down and balance 
some kind of ball inside of it. We would have
to pass the ball to the next kid in line, who
was also holding a cone, and we couldn't touch
it at all with our hands.The bean bag toss was pretty cool also, mainly because I liked the way that those little bean bags felt. (It felt like they were full of little plastic balls.) Our gym class had this wooden bean bag toss stand that looked vintage even at the time!

The end of the day was my most favorite because
we always would have a tug of war. We all seemed
so competitive with that because when we would
win, we could rub it in the rest of the grade's
faces that our team ruled and was the 
strongest! Of course a few times we did lose
really sucked. I'm pretty sure after the 
races, we would play some fun games like 
kickball and played with that big rainbow
parachute thing.I loved when it was my turn
to go inside the parachute. For those few
seconds, it was like my own personal playhouse, 
sunroof included! (I'm talking about that hole in the
middle of the parachute.) Yes, I used to dreamthat one day I could live inside a parachute like that.  

We did have a few races involving hula hoops also, and they were included in the obstacle course. They had them lined up so we had to jump in the middle of the hoops from foot to foot. They way they arranged them for that always reminded me of the Olympic ring symbol.








I remember being given this horrible orange drink crap. Then at end of the day they would announce the winners and we would get a ribbon. I 
still have a few of mine.
Things are much different now, as I've seen 
from my kid's time there. The field where our
field day was held is no longer there and they
stopped giving out the ribbons and instead
now give out these cheap plastic metals that probably
cost less than a nickel.They still have some
of the same races for the kids but now have
like a mini carnival with cotton candy and
a inflatable bounce thing. (Which would've 
been cool to have back in the 80's.)
Even though my field days have come to an 
end, I'm glad that I can still remember (parts
of) mine, and can listen to how much fun my
kids had at theirs. I told them to enjoy it, 
because those days go by way too fast.
So, there you have it,..my field day memories.
If you went to Hammonton Elementary School
during the 80's/early 90's and can remember
more details I left out....feel free to fill me
in!






No comments:

Post a Comment